À la carte
August 13, 1933
The Blackhawk opened in the Chicago Loop in late December of 1920. Six years later, the sedate 600-seat restaurant replaced its string quartet with a dance orchestra and soon a program called “Live! From the Blackhawk!” was broadcast on local WGN radio. The popular show was later picked up by the nationwide Mutual Radio Network. A telegraph machine was installed to take requests from listeners.