February 10. 1863
Opening in 1862, the Russ House filled the entire block of Montgomery Street between Bush and Pine Streets. A notch below the luxurious Lick House and Occidental Hotel, the Russ House catered to farmers, merchants, and miners who paid $2.00 to $2.50 a night for room and board. The daily menu, which is printed askew on the form, reflects the plentiful fare at hotels in the Union. The wine list and transportation schedule for steamboats and stages are shown on the inside.