[manuscript in Latin from France],
This manuscript is an elegant example of Parisian commercial book production from the middle of the fifteenth century. As usual, the opening miniature of the book, an Annunciation, is the work of a finer artist than the person who produced the remaining twelve miniatures. Nevertheless, the hand of this second artist has been recognized in six other manuscripts by Grolier Club member James Marrow, and by François Avril. Professor Marrow has provisionally named the artist the “Master of the Brotherhood of Ste. Catherine,” after a liturgical manuscript now in the Hague executed for a lay confraternity established in the Hôpital de Ste. Catherine in Paris.
Gift of Daniel B. Fearing, 1908.