À la carte

62  Luchows NYC 1905.jpg

Creator

Lüchow’s

Title

À la carte

Date

November 19, 1905

Coverage

New York City

Description

In 1882, Hanover-born bartender and waiter August Lüchow (1856–1923) purchased Mühlbach’s beer hall on 14th Street at Irving Place and renamed it Lüchows. The German restaurant was widely regarded for its imported Würzburger and Pilsner beers and for perennial staples like bockwurst, sauerbraten, wiener schnitzel, and game dishes, which are among the many items on this 16½- x 11½-inch menu. In the 1930s, columnist O. O. McIntyre wrote: “In a changing world, nothing changes at Lüchows.” Nevertheless, the umlaut was dropped from over the u from 1917 to 1950 in response to anti-German sentiment that arose from the world wars. Lüchows closed in 1982 after operating at the same location for a century.